David Reed | Engineer, architect, communicator
- Salesforce architecture, development, ISV packaging
- DevOps and automation for Salesforce
- Technical leadership, education, developer relations
- Elected moderator, Salesforce Stack Exchange, 2019-
- Salesforce MVP alumnus, 2019
- Frequent community speaker
- Open source maintainer and contributor
M.A., Ancient Greek, Florida State University (2009-2011).
B.A., Liberal Arts, St. John's College (2005-2009).
Principal Member of Technical Staff, Salesforce (2019-)
- Created new CI/CD and build automation solutions using CumulusCI, Salesforce DX, Python, Robot Framework, and Metadata and Tooling APIs.
- Architected MetaPush application for safe, performant ISV push upgrades.
- Executed build, release, and delivery processes for more than 50 Salesforce managed packages reaching tens of thousands of customers.
- Drove implementation of 2GP builds and tests across more than 30 projects.
- Directly supported 5+ product teams as packaging SME.
- Designed and built Metadata ETL framework for safe org configuration.
- Built intelligent data load engine, yielding 500% speed increases.
- Coauthored 6 Trailhead modules and thousands of words of documentation.
- Presented over 20 public-facing talks, articles, and blog posts evangelizing CumulusCI and related topics.
- Led Salesforce.org Permissions Working Group and CumulusCI Champions Council.
Interim Product Manager, CumulusCI Suite, Salesforce (2021-2022)
- Owned the vision and roadmap for suite of 6 applications.
- Set engineering priorities for scrum team of 13.
- Coordinated requirements with multiple stakeholder teams across business units.
Salesforce Application Architect, Radian Group (2017-2019)
- Developed custom Lightning app to manage intake of over $10M/mo insurance premiums.
- Onboarded 3 major organizations to Lightning Sales Cloud.
- Built backend and user-facing functionality in Apex, LWC, and Visualforce.
- Planned and executed Salesforce-to-Salesforce org and data merge for corporate acquisition.
- Developed new ETL solution in Python for sandbox seeding & data transfer.
Salesforce Developer, American Civil Liberties Union (2017)
- Designed and built solutions on Salesforce and NGO Connect, including triggers, Apex batch processes, Queueable Apex, Visualforce pages, and Python API integrations.
- Applied enterprise/LDV patterns to handle 50 million+ record volume, 300,000+/mo donations.
Data Systems Manager, Santa Fe Institute (2015–2017)
- Led transition from Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge to Salesforce, using Nonprofit Success Pack.
- Architected and built applications in Apex and Visualforce to support 5 departments.
- Migrated 3 legacy systems and data, from FileMaker, PHP/MySQL, and 3rd-party cloud platform.
- Designed and built custom data import and deduplication solution in Python and Flask.
- Supervised associate-level staff member.
Presentations and Open Source Projects
- Author of Baris, an open-source Rust crate for async, parallelized Salesforce integrations.
- Author of Amaxa, an open-source Python Salesforce ETL tool for multi-object data loads.
- Author of Bibliothekai, an open-source app built in Python, Django, and Lightning Web Components for cataloging and reviewing translations of classical texts.
- Dozens of public presentations (see ktema.org/publications for complete CV).